Richard Smith (they/them) is a candidate in ethnomusicology. Their dissertation explores what it means to be queer and Arab in Israel, and how music may negotiate these identities. As a 2020 Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad fellow Richard will soon return to Israel for 12 months where they will examine further the complexities that non-binary and trans* identities reveal within a binary society. Richard’s work draws upon their interests in drag, the use of language, social media, creative networks. They have presented their research in the United States and abroad. Outside the university, Richard enjoys live-streaming atmospheric horror, and other story-based video games, performing and creating drag, and working as a professional drag and burlesque photographer.
- Richard Smith Participates in Drag Panel "Them Fatales" – April 02, 2021
- Pics or It Didn't Happen – March 31, 2021
- Richard Smith presents at colloquium: 'New Perspectives of Cultural Contact and Exchange' – April 14, 2019
- SMR goes ice skating – April 12, 2019
- SMR at SEM 2018 – December 20, 2018